Monday, March 2, 2009

March 3, 2009 It's Girls day or "Hina Matsuri" ?

Hi all
Well it is the day to celebrate Girls here in Japan. Here is the description from my Japanese encyclopedia.
Hina Matsuri or Momo no Sekku, is an event to celebrate young girls' growth and to pray for their continued happiness. Years ago March 3rd was designated as the day for driving off evil spirits and people struck their bodies with paper dolls and set them in rivers to drift away so that the impurities would be washed away. Later, this custom was linked to children's dolls of the noble class and was developed into today's Hina Matsuri.
At Hina Matsuri "hina" dolls are displayed, a sweet drink made from fermented rice called "amazake" and special food such as "chirashizuchi" a kind of sushi with the ingredients chopped and scattered over vinegared rice, broth with clams, three colored lozenge-shaped rice cakes and special dry cakes made of sweetened rice flour are prepared.
I have been on the computer, and doing book work most of the day.CJ left for China this am and then I talked with my folks and Mark. I have not done much today to celebrate, but have been thinking alot about the day and wondering just how each family with a little girl will celebrate? CJ and I did have a little, pink cake last night with strawberries on top for desert and I have eaten some of the rice puffs in colors of green, pink and white that I bought at the market awhile back. I may have white rice with red beans tonight for supper as that is a type of celebration dish here in Japan.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see what kind of dolls the different folks have displayed in their homes today. I have my little emperor and empress figurines on display in front of the TV with two fresh camillas I plucked from the loaded bush out on the back stairmaster in between them. I never did find the glue to finish putting together my paper dolls I cut out on Sunday. Oh well..I will use them next year perhaps. We too received another mini set of Hani dolls from our work friend Ryoko and those are setting on the dining room table.
I am now off to the market to buy more fruits and veggies. Who knows maybe I will see something of interest as I make my way down the slope, past the temple and to the shopping street? Hope so?
More soon
Karla

No comments: