Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sunday March 15, 2009 Tokyo St Patty's Day Parade

Sunday morning CJ and I woke early and had 2 nice separate phone chats with each of our kids. They are both adjusting to their new routines of a full fledged working world job and no school for Kalen and lots of rugby,a school apprenticeship assisting a history teacher at a Duluth middle school, as well as 2 university classes for Graham. They are both doing well and looking forward to spring like temps.
After our calls with the kids, we then headed to Tokyo and the Harajuku District to see the parade and whatever else was going on there before the 2pm parade was to begin. The papers all said activities were from 11am -7pm so of course we went in search and to find out just how and why the Japanese are celebrating this holiday here in Japan. Hum ?
We got to Harajuku by 12 and not many girls were there yet strutting there fashions, so we walked down by Yoyoji Park too see if there were any musicians playing or if the Elvis twisters and 1950's girls in poodle skirts were there? They too, were slowly arriving for a day of twisting. there was a big tent set up across the street and we found out Circus So lei was performing there.
We then decided to go and see what else we could find having to do with the Irish and St Pat's. We walked all along the Omotesando boulevard shopping Street and stopped at the information booth to see what was going on. I asked why and how did they get to celebrating this holiday here in Japan. I didn't even know many Irish folks lived here. We found out that it started about 20 years ago or so by a few Irish that lived here and the Japanese liked it so much they now keep up the tradition. There are only about 1,000 Irish here in Japan, so I think it is quite amazing that 7 different parade throughout the country will take place in this time period. The girl at the INFO booth said about 90 percent of the parade committee are Japanese.We asked where all the food and beer stands were and she said there wasn't any but we could go check out the exhibits and perhaps learn how to dance in the exhibit area.
So we headed off in search of something green? Right then a guy with a cool green Mohawk passed by with 2 ladies and when I asked if I could take his photo, the older lady told me he is a bagpiper and is going to be in the parade as well. It must have been his mom and wife or girlfriend I'm guessing, as she was very proud and quick to tell me all about him.:-) I took one photo of the 3 of them and then had to have him do a profile shot so you could at least see the Mohawk. Didn't even realize the younger gal had green hair too, till I got home and looked at my pics the next day. Guess I was more intrigued with him. :-)
We found a few musicians on the street corner playing Irish songs on their flutes and then behind them were two food stands and they were steaming some kind of green stuffed leaves wrapped and tied up in triangle bundles and the other ones looked like a rolled head pillow with the ends gathered and tied with either string or leaves like they when making tamales in Honduras. I tried to ask what they were,and what was inside,but my Japlish sadly did not work. ?? That was the only food stall we saw at all, that had green food and it wasn't even Irish. What?
We then walked way up to the end of the street and could not see anything that looked like Irish exhibits, so we walked back down a back street and saw nothing there either. Darn. Then we realized by the map that it might be in the building. Odd? Anyhow, we went in and here was this big 3 or 4 story indoor shopping plaza. Right then a guy with a kilt walked past and I asked him if he spoke English and sure enough he did. He was an Irish man with a Japanese wife and 3 kids and they were all going to be in the parade themselves. He played the harp and she the violin. They gathered for a family photo and then he wanted another one with me and them so I obliged. :-)
We asked where the exhibit was and he said downstairs on level B2 but don't be to excited for anything. It was only a tourist booth, face painting for kids, photo with a leprechaun, some silly green hats for sale, Irish tea and a few other Irish trinkets and T shirts. They were also giving out frozen Bailey's samples, but of course the machine ran dry when I got there and it was going to be another 1/2 hour before it would be ready again. On the stage, they were just finishing up a DVD and then after they interviewed an Irish band The Coronas. The schedule said live performance, but they first showed a DVD on the screen and then a gal sat with the 4 men and a translator and asked them questions. It got very hot in there for us and so we decided to leave. So who knows if they every sang? There were no instruments laying around, but I did see a few microphone stands off to the side of the stage? I wonder what kind of music they even play. I will have to check it out on My space perhaps?
The family guys was right, it was no big deal. Darn!!! So now we had an hour or more to kill yet before the parade started, and there were people everywhere. So CJ bought himself a few beers at he corner Lawson's store and we grabbed a seat along the street, at e our veggie snacks and nut mix while we sat and people/dog watched. We were right by the intersection where the parade was to start and so there was lots of activity there.
As parade time got near an Irish man Peter and his two 1/2 Japanese kids Erica and Mica came by and sat by us. CJ and Peter ended up talking during the whole parade and I had fun taking pics and then after playing with the two kids. They were so darn cute and it was hard to believe they had any Irish in them. The Asian genes are definitely the dominate ones.
We were to find later on, when talking with Peter that they quit having food and beer as there was too much garbage everywhere when it was all over. So it was a very sedate and quiet St Patty's Day here in Japan, according to an Americans perspective anyway. It still was fun watching all the folks dressed in whatever bit of green they had. My guess is many probably went out and bought something specifically for today as most don't wear a whole lot of color here. There is allot of black and white and more subdued and dark colors than anything else. Spring and summer I am sure will bring more color and patterned clothing.
So after the parade we talked a bit more and listened to some more street musicians who sat next to us and played more music on their flutes,banjos, and violins.
After some more hand clapping games and roller coaster rides by CJ for the kids we bid farewell and headed back to Harajuku Plaza and to see what kids had gathered and what their outrageous outfits looked like today. On the way there we passed by two guys playing music on the street corner and they were giving free CD's out. So of course I grabbed one and asked to take their picture. They were very happy and I was sorry we did not stop to listen longer as I found I really liked their style when I got home and listened to the music. The name of the group was Akira and the Family Plan and from their flyer of upcoming gigs, it looked like the girl was missing today.
So up and over the walking bridge we went and down to the plaza which was now filled with people at the human zoo looking at and taking pics of the Harajuku girls in their colorful wardrobes. Many Asian Indian guys were there and very excited about taking group photos with some of the girls. As they were all snapping from above I squatted down and asked the girls sitting on the ground if I could take their picture and they all happily said yes. One was dressed in a pink Little Bo Peep dress and posing very demurely, another in black and red goth ware looking out over her partial mask. Another girl was very colorful in a rainbow of colors, blue glasses and stuffed animals hanging on her. Then I saw 3 kids that were not Japanese and they were in Cos Play like maid or Renaissance type outfits and the guy in like punk goth. I went up and talked to them a bit before asking for a photo and they said they were here from Italy for 4 days. Fun!
We then walked back over to Yoyoji park and things were running full throttle now as many groups of Rockabilly Elvis black leather clad pompadour dancers and twisters were gathered and entertaining folks walking through the park. We watched a bit and then walked further along the edge of the park and passed by a guy painting clear umbrellas with all kinds of cool colorful designs, patterns, flowers. I forgot to ask him how much he was charging for them, but he did tell me it was waterproof paint which I thought was a good thing:-)ha ha
There were no more music artists across the main street so we walked back up through the middle of the park.
It was loaded with groups of people sitting in the sunlight on their blue mats talking, eating, drinking and having fun. We then saw a group of folks gathered to watch something down by the fountain and I thought perhaps it was the dancing painter we saw last time we were here in December, but it was now a little 5yr old boy named Keepon who was playing his guitar and singing. He was so cute and was running around jumping all over singing in English some of the words and then mumbling the rest. He was actually quite good on his guitar,but thought he could use more help with his English pronunciation. He was darling and really getting the adult crowd that gathered, into his music and many were quite fascinated by his musical skills. As I watched he sat his nice new guitar down on the cement and then ran behind the cement bench to get his other guitar. His mom who was squatting back there watching him then got up and looked to see where his other guitar was and so I walked up and grabbed it and then handed it to her over the seat. I couldn't help myself but had to ask her how old he was and if she had any of this on U tube. She said she did, so I need to check it out. At first I thought he was the other little Asian boy that plays guitar and sings, but then I realized he was too young and his skills were far inferior to that other kid. He was good though,h and his mom said he has only been doing this since July 2008. WOW!...he may have a career ahead of him. I suggested she might put his guitar case out there and collect some money to pay for lessons, buy him outfits, more instruments, whatever...and she was very grateful for my compliment. You know I will be back to search him out again on another sunny, summer Sunday and to check on his progressing musical talent and abilities. I love this whole informal stage for beginning artists to display their skills.
Back to the twisters for a minute and then to grab some of those good smelling donuts that the street vendor was making. You don't have to be afraid of eating stall food here as they are quite meticulous and clean. A walk back through the plaza and a few new girls were there now, but they did not want their picture taken. They had multi color dreads and some had leopard fabric costumes. One girl had the tape over her nose and I still want to know what that is about. I did ask the Italian kids earlier and they had no idea. The girl was not there at the time to point her out. Anyhow, it was a fun day overall, great weather, people watching and like I said before I am so interested in learning more about these girls. I looked for that girl Sienna I met on the way to Mt Fuji back in August,but no luck.

It is now 3/17/09 and it is St Patty's Day here in Yokohama. I am wearing green while I sit here and type my latest blog post. CJ should be on his way back from a meeting down south in Nagoya and I am getting caught up on book work and emails once again.
Did nothing today but bookwork after doing laundry and cleaning my house driveway, porch and the back StairMaster yesterday. I swept up all the peppermint looking red and white Camilla blossoms that had fallen from the bushes and were covering half of the staircase on my side of the steps. While out there two neighbor ladies came past and I met Washero who I believe lives two or 3 doors down from me with the BIG dog and the lady who lives across the back alley way and takes care of the garbage area. Her relative is the owner of our house.I forgot her name? They were very grateful and both told me arigato for cleaning up. That was nice to hear.
Also today I had a nice visit with my folks and they are happily doing much better and my dad even went for a walk today as the snow and ice are all gone now that it is 60 degrees in MN. Yahoo!
CJ just walked in with a Jumbo-cho, and so I will close this note so we can visit a bit before he we go to bed and he heads to Korea tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will shop, Thursday is the ladies luncheon and Friday I need to get things organized for when Michelle and Donna are here
Nighty night

No comments: