Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1 2009 150th Harbor Fireworks Later tonight here in Japan

Hi all
Well it has been a few weeks since I got back to Japan and CJ and I have been busy as usual.
I have been to the Kofu orphanage here on Mondays with my friend Lynn. We are enjoying playing card games, coloring and trying to teach them English and learn some Japanese with the kids. They are so cute and seem to enjoy our time with them, and we of course love being there.:-) Last week we left them in a monsoon rain storm and by the time we got to the end of the 100yard long driveway we were soaked from head to toe --even under our umbrellas. It was actually quite fun to walk across town in the rain and when I got home I could actually ring out my dress which became quite heavy from all the water it absorbed:-)

CJ and I then went to Singapore for 5 days and had fun roaming the streets there and different neighborhoods-Chinatown, Lil India, Kampung Glam, Arab Street, Burgis Street, Orchard Road, Esplanade, Marina Bay..... It is a concrete shopping jungle and I happily got away without buying alot of things. :-) Did get a few scarves, incense and T-shirts for the kids and folks. We had a nice dinner out with Lian from CJ's work and enjoyed the FISH HEAD curry soup and eating off of banana leaves. Most folks eat with their fingers, but I used my fork so as not to wear all of my food. CJ and I also went to the Singapore Food Festival two nights in a row as we could not get enough of the chicken satay and PEANUT SAUCE..Oh my it is SO TASTY.:-P We of course tried a Singapore Sling and I also enjoyed mango in various forms dessert, fresh, lassi, margarita...YUM! Also found I liked mangosteens and lychee fruits..weird looking, but delicious.

We stayed on Orchard Road the first few nights and then moved over to Lil India. We really enjoyed the indian curry, nan, veggies, coconut desserts... We also went on a nice river cruise and it was fun to see the city sights from the water view point. Singapore has so many colorful buildings with a rainbow of colored shutters. We were there for my 53rd Birthday and CJ and I escaped to Pulau Ubin island and rented a tandem bike for an island tour. It is so hot (90 +) and humid in Singapore and especially in the thick lush jungle. We were sure to have released many a toxin as we sweat sweat and sweat some more.

We are now back in Japan and planning a trip next week to the southern island of Kyushu where CJ will go for work and I will meet him for the weekend so we can explore Nagaski and Fukuoka. We are having a tough time getting hotel reservations in Nagasaki as it is the anniversary on August 9th of the atomic bomb dropped there in 1945 and they have an annual memorial service there on Sunday. We got our China visas renewed for another year and I hope to visit there again sometime soon with CJ.

In a few hours we will make our way down to the harbor for the BIG FIREWORKS display. I wonder if it will be bigger than last years as it is the 150th anniverasry of the Yokohama Harbor this year...we shall see
Hope all is well with you and yours
Karla

No comments: