Monday, August 24, 2009

August 2009 Womens Club Activities keep me busy

Things are gearing up for all the new Fall programs to start once again now that people have returned from summer vacations back home and school is back in session.
Been helping my friend Jenny with advertisements about The Women's Club and attending Japanese versions of PTA meetings with all the new parents at 2 of the international schools. We are trying to get more new women to Yokohama interested in joining the club.
Made a simple photo book, to show about the activities I am doing with the kids at Kofu as this is one of the biggest things the women's club does..that is to raise funds for the kids scholarships for further education.
I went to one meeting last week and will have another one next week. I too am going for walks again, with a bunch who like to hike. Tomorrow we are off to Yokosuka...which CJ and I have been to, but I am going so Tyler can see where his Grandpa landed back in WW 2.
By the way... I am sure some of you are wondering who is Tyler? He is a 22 yr old young man from MN who I met through one of my mom's friends. Tyler speaks some Japanese and he came to Japan for 3 weeks and we gave him our name so he had a contact here. When he got here he was a bit overwhelmed with the BIGNESS and all the people of Tokyo and so he went further south and then called me a bit flustered and so we invited him here. It is his first time out of the USA and my guess is perhaps many things he thought Japan was going to be, it wasn't. Needless to say he has been here for a week with us and we have been trying to get him out to see different local things and meet and see what really living here is like and not just staying in a hotel and sightseeing. Right now he is down at the park and learning how to do Japanese archery. Then he is going to hang out at the pool and make us dinner tonight for our taking him in. We have enjoyed many good conversations and he is a kid that knows allot about many different things. How do these Young folks get so smart so early...I still feel like I am so in the dark about so many things...anyhoo
The ladies will have an orientation tea on Sept 10th and then the 17th of Sept one ladies son I think is a Kabuki actor and will put on a show for us at the Sept luncheon.
So you can see my days are quickly filling up with activities both with volunteering adn Ladies club stuff. I hope to take some more painting classes as well if they resume in the upcoming months.
In between all that, I am trying to keep up with my Hogar stuff on the computer and waiting to see what the future for the kids in Honduras will be?

No comments: