Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wednesday Jan 28, 09 Colorful and Graceful Chinese Dancers

I did a bunch of book work in the am and then made my down to Chinatown to catch the daily 2pm show. What would the program be today I wondered? I arrived to an almost empty pavilion area, but there were a few moms and their kids in the park enjoying some time on the jungle gym and swings while waiting for the show to begin. It was a cloudy and cooler day today, so I guess the older folks were staying inside to keep warm. They did show up later as show time neared. Eric Clapton songs once again filled the air while we waited. They also moved the stage back further into the drit area and so more people would be able to crowd around this time.
I was also entertained for about 20 minutes by a very horny dog who would NOT leave this poor little boy alone. He was at the park and playing on the jungle gym and this dog would NOT leave him alone and kept trying to hump his leg. It was funny at first, but then it went on and on for like 20 minutes. I felt kind of bad for the kid and thought it a bit odd, that none of the adults with him seemed to take any notice of it or try and stop it. Weird? anyhoo....
The dance show started with some ladies in turquoise and purple with flowing chiffon sleeves and belts and maroon belled boots on their feet. Then a young lady in red came out and did some type of dance that seemed to have a bit of India influence to it I thought. I wish I understood what they were saying before each dance number, as I assumed each dance was representative of a certain region of China or at least I thought so?
Next,a very slim,and petite young lady came out in purple and did a lovely authentic chinese dance. My guess is this might be the kind a geisha girl might do for a party she is working at. She was so delicate and soft with her movements and her fingers and hands flowed like honey when she moved them about. Very Cool!
Last dance was performed by the first 3 ladies with an additional older women who joined them. She had lots of character to her face and really seemed to enjoy dancing about. They were all dressed in green and pink and had the tradtional long sleeved costumes. It was very pretty and reminded me of spring time as they danced amongst the lotus blossoms which were placed around the edge of the makeshift stage.
I once again waited around for the next show and to get pics from a different angle. this time around. While sitting there out of the wind which now kicked up as the clouds above began to roll in thicker and thicker, the park guys moved the fenced in area ouot further and left a big dirt area in front of the stage. Then two of the park employee guys raked the whole dirt area and made a circle pattern in the dirt like they were getting it ready for some thing special or else they were just bored and occupying time while waiting?
It got even colder as the time neared 2 pm and not that many people came to watch as they had yesterday. This second show was different and it began with two of the park employees dressing up in some BIG paper mache headand body type costumes and they ran around in the circle and then passed ouot candy to the aduience members. Everytone was reaching theri hand out to get some sweet goodies. I was too busy taking pics of people and the kids reactions that I di not get any, but a kind gentelman next to me shared two of his with me. Arigato Gozamois!
Then a young lady came out and sang two songs. One about Chinatown and another one with sort of jazzy ballad type feel to it where a girl danced in the background behind her while she sang. I liked her sound and after she was done and as she passed me to go I asked if she had a CD. Yes she did and so I bought one from her Ku-aimi is her name and she personally signed it for me as well and I did not even ask her to. :) Then the showed continued on as it did earlier in the day. Sadly the raindrops began to fall when the girl in purple was dancing and by the time the ladies in green and pink withh the long sleeves were on the crowd had pretty much dispersed. Good for me as I could move all over and get shots form 101 different angles. It was another fun day and one that left me chilled for the rest of the night and tired too,from all the fresh air.
I made my way back home, threw some spaghetti and salad together for supper and then quickly ran down the other side of the bluff for a few groceries before CJ got home. We are surely enjoying all the fresh loaves of bread with sweet Hakkaido butter from the numerous bakeries around here. When we went to Costco on Sunday I stocked up on fresh blueberries and blackberries too, to go with the strawberries that have been so tasty and sweet. YUM!! So last night for dessert we savored our fresh fruit with the baked coconut tarts I picked up in Chinatown.
Tomorrow and Friday there are no shows, but they have more again on Saturday and Sunday so you know where we will be. If the weather cooperates CJ and I are thinking of going south on the pennisula here for a hike as well, to see what we can see by the oceanside and beaches?
more later this week
Karla

No comments: