Saturday, February 14, 2009

Feb 14, 2009 HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from Japan

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY !!
It is actually Sunday Feb 15th and I will soon be leaving for another walk in the spring sunshine. Yesterday I had a lovely day enjoying all the sights, sounds, colors and love floating in the air here in Japan. Let me share with you my Valentines Day Solo adventures.
CJ packed his bags and was off to MN but before he left we tried to get a quick lunch of ramen, but the restaurant was not yet open so we had a sandwich,mango smoothie and chocolate heart sucker at Starbucks instead. We kissed goodbye and then he headed to the train & Narita airport and I headed up the slope to the Western mansions to view the art work I heard was on display. On the way I past a chapel with a wedding just finishing as I could peek through the gate and caught a little glimpse of them walking down an aisle and people were throwing yellow rose petals and it was only 10:30am WOW! ...they have early weddings here. It made me wonder how early that bride had to get up and get ready with a ceremony that early in the day?

At Bluff 111 I saw my friend Takeuchi and all the colorful art work made by the local children with "Down's Syndrome". We had fun trying to figure out with her dictionary what she was trying to tell me about their disabilities. They made lovely plaster castles with colorful mosaic tiles and wine bottle corks, hot air balloons, stain glass looking window decorations, clay name plates, ocean floor 3D plaster sculptures, the high school kids made colorful hats, others did weaving and clay figurines. She had a lovely heart shaped rose centerpiece on the front room table which greeted all when entering the home.
I bid her farewell and as I passed the church I saw a bride and her father standing in the doorway ready to walk down the aisle. I then stopped at the other 2 houses to see beautiful paintings of Fuji-san in the 4 seasons by kids at an Int'l school and then at the Berrick Hall just down the street from our house the Ferris Int'l high school had wonderful art on display. There I saw great photographs, wooden carved boxes, colorful and shiny foil artwork, paintings, and 3D paper sculptures which were very, very detailed.
I then headed home to pack a lunch, changed my shirt as it was getting very warm and then I was off for Sankeien Garden. When I arrived there was a dance show about to begin and so I of course went to see that first. There were many an older lady dressed in their colorful kimonos and they each performed a different dance. Some had fans, scarves, masks...It was very interesting,relaxing and it felt good to sit in the sunshine with the white blossoms illuminated next to the stage by the warm and very bright sunlight.
After the show I looked at the lovely exhibit of bonsai trees and was surprised to see one Ex Pat even had a very nice one with multi-colored blossoms of white pink and orange.
I then walked around the garden with many others. This place all of a sudden had a ton of people out enjoying the first really nice day of spring weather here in Japan. The plum blossoms were sparkling in sunlight on the trees and the white daffodils below, almost made it look a bit like it had snowed here.:-) I wonder what it will look like when the trees are all in full bloom, as today was really the first day they just started to pop. Cool...I'm EXCITED!
I of course bought an annual pass today so I can come here when ever I want. It is a about 45 minute walk from my house, but well worth it and so relaxing. A nice get wasy form the city scape.
As I made my way around the garden, many people were busy feeding bread to the ducks in the pond, others having picnics on the bank, benches, everyone trying to snap the perfect up close shot of the pretty flowers...and there was even another wedding in one of the old buildings. Thankfully right before I left they came out for some photos and so I of course snapped a few myself and gave the bride a thumbs up and domo arigato. I told her she was beautiful in her white dress with pearl and bead encrusted bodice and long train. There was a gal in a purple kimona carrying her long train as she moved about to take her portraits.
I sat the last few minutes as the sun was setting over the pond and watched a big bird sitting on a boat flapping his wings and taking cool reflections of trees in water. I love how water ripples make interesting effects on things reflected in the canal,pond...
With the sun setting and the gates closing I walked back home and stopped to rent a few music CD's I had seen on MTVjapan. I found two of them. One I call the piano girl that I love yet do not know her name as it's in Japanese and the other called Dragon Ash which sounds like spanish ballads to me. They did not have the Bolero CD I wanted, but I think when the full albums do come out I might have to purchase them. This renting is a nice way to see if it is what you like or want, before having to buy.
Back home I ate some lefteovers and then watched American Idol reruns on TV. Was disappointed it was the San Fran auditions, as they said it was going to be Kansas City and I was looking forward to seeing Eden Prairie's own Casey Carlson do her thang? :-( I read some more information out of my Japanese Picture Dictionary and worked a bit with my Valentine day pics before calling it a night. Check out my Facebook page for a Valentine Day Photo Album of allthings I meantioned above.
Heard CJ made it safely to Graham's in Duluth, MN and they were headed to see his sister Cindy at Colt's Hockey Tournament there. I am now off to pack another lunch and then am going to roam the sunny streets looking for more adventure?
HUGS and Chocolate kisses to all. Hope you had a SWEET day with those you LOVE!
Karla

No comments: