Friday, September 19, 2008

Sept 19, 2008 Japanese, enka music, typhoons, sumo

Kon ban wa "good evening"
I had a fun day at my new Japanese class held about a 1/2 hours walk from here at the library. There were about 12 students I think that attended and 6 different teachers who worked with 2-3 of us each. I was in Iiekia-senai's group with a man from India and a girl from Korea. He Dainesh-san moved here a month ago and she Lee-san and I "Karra" came in July. There were two ladies from France, another one from Korea, a Chinese lady, an Indian women an Argentinian and I don't know about the others? Our group practiced a bunch of sentences with I like.... I don't like, Do you like, I am from , I am , What is your name, My name is...
Two of the teachers were very nice and friendly when I arrived early and we had a short visit together before the rest of the class showed up. So now I have a class on Fridays, Saturdays with CJ and I am going to go try another one down by the grocery store on Mondays. Yipee!! I figured 3 a week is better than just one if and when I get to work at the school/s that will be more practice too. I am bound and determined to get some of this lingo down. :-)
I like that they are all in different parts of Yokohama too, so I will meet people from a variety of places, get exercise when walking to get to and from them and also learn a new language as well. Yeah! I enjoyed my walk back home in the drizzle, smelling more flowers and stopped at a few more of the mom and pop shops on the other side of the street this time.
Also stopped to look in a CD/Book/DVD shop and they had DVD's and CD's to rent so I rented a Japanese Enka music CD. I had read about it in the airplane coming back from China. The artists name is Jero. He is a young man singing the old style Japanese music. It actually is very nice and relaxing,kind of a pop jazz type style. I am listening to it right now, as I type this blog.
It has been raining off an on all day and I assume it will go on all night since the
13th typhoon of the season is blowing by just south of us. By the weather maps on TV earlier tonight, it looks as if it might miss us here in Yokohama. I guess other parts of the country got the same amount of rain they usually get in the whole month of September in one 24 hour period.:-? They are warning people to be on the look out for landslides and flash floods. Streets have turned into rivers in certain parts southwest of here. One man said it is the worst he has ever seen it in 60 years. WOW!
CJ is still out at his dinner meeting and I am getting ready for my shower and bed as soon as I finish this post. I caught some of the Tokyo SUMO tourney on TV while eating dinner tonight and I am VERY excited to go and see it live on Sunday. I have been reading about SUMO on the web, so I hope I will kind of get some of what is going on when I get there. I too, came across a news station dubbed in English so it was nice to catch up a little on the local weather and actually know for sure what they were saying, especially with severe weather knocking at our door. The wind is actually picking up now and the rain is falling harder than when I started this. They said it should be past us by dawn, so who knows what will go on while I sleep. I wonder how wet CJ will get walking home from the train station?
Well I guess that is about it for tonight. I am pooped and have taken in lots of new information today and so I will no go and rest my weary head.
More from a very wet and soggy Japan tomorrow
Sleep tight
Karra and Chuck

No comments: