Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sept 9, 2008...Karla enjoys another foot and body massage

Hi all
Well it is my last day here in Shanghai and I spent it like every other day, walking the streets. I headed to a different area of town and actually got smack dab in the middle of a few different hutongs. I saw many more fruit, veggie and meat markets all the same, as the one across the street from the hotel. When walking through one fish stand, I yelled to a lady to come get her eel that was on the loose and slithering it's way across the lane. Watched a boy make pork filled dumplings, and right next door I bought some Blue and white dragon rice pattern bowls from a man who was not very talkative at all. He had cheap prices though and I got 2 bowls for 8rem where as the other guys I asked earlier in the day elsewhere wanted 10rem for 1.
In another neighborhood area, I came across what looked like a wholesale book store plaza where teachers might come to buy books for class or possibly books stores ? I got a few kids chinese english books.
I made my way back to the massage place and enjoyed another 1 hour foot massage and then a full body one as well. What a well spent $10.00 for 2 hours of pampering.
Now I am back in my to hotel room and jotting this post before my 24 hours of internet runs out. I will eat soon and then repack my bags. CJ will be out late for his last dinner meeting tonight and then we leave tomorrow morning for Japan. Yeah!
I have enjoyed my stay here in Shanghai, but I am ready to go home. I have covered lots of ground and saw so much of the same, day after day, that I only took 12 pictures today..I think that is a record for me.
I definetly feel I would have had a different trip if I knew some of the language. I felt a bit frustrated at times, as I really was not able to communicate with as many as I would have liked. Found my dictionary too late to really get into it this trip, but if I get to go to other areas of China later on, I will be sure to study up some before returning.
It has been a colorful, scented, and sound filled trip with lots of construction all over this big city. I am so looking forward to going home to my quiet house on the hill in my clean little neighborhood, cooking some meals and not being on vacation for a little bit. It has been fun, but I need to get a life again and into a routine learning some Japanese I hope and maybe some volunteer work at the school.
More from Japan later this week
Karla and CJ

No comments: