Wednesday, July 16, 2008

July 16, 2008 A Walk in the Parks

Slept through till 6am. Got up and when CJ left for work I put the desk chair together and set up my office a bit. It was nice to sit up there and type. Heard a bunch of noise outside and when I looked out the window to see what was going on, it was a big group of elementary school kids in gray shorts and white shirts walking down the hill. Yet another school uniform and more kids going on a field trip I presume, just like we have back in the states as it gets closer to the end of the school year.
Got a notice in the mail that they will be doing road construction on our dead end street from July 20- Sept 19th. They are going to be putting in new water lines. Thankful for the drawings, as I would not have known one thing it said, as it was all in Japanese Kangi characters. Had CJ take it to ask Tad what the details were. Especially wanted to know how long we would be without water. Only 1 day for about 4 hours I think he said.
That is one thing that is a bit frustrating, in that all the notices are in Japanese. Heck I could be missing all kinds of "events" with photo opportunities that I don't even know about? haha
Last night as I sat in the house there also, was a loud speaker outside announcing something, just like they do in Honduras, and once again, I had no idea what that was about. I hope it is nothing really important that I need to know ?
When CJ and Tad were walking back home from the noodle shop yesterday they passed a bulletin and he asked CJ if we knew about a festival coming up here in Yamate-cho August 3rd and 4th. We know nothing,so I guess that is something for me to search out as well/
After doing some bookwork and cleaning up a bit, I went for my daily walk and toured one of the old historic houses Yamate 11. It had beautiful gardens out back and 2very friendly ladies inside. Had a nice chat with the manager Yoschiko and her receptionist Kumiko. Kumiko lived in the USA years ago for her husbands work. She could speak english quite well. Yoschiko got a bit embarassed and giggled saying she did not know very much. She then happily showed me her flower arrangements with much pride as they were getting ready for a TV station to come and film the house and she was hopeful they would do a program about it on TV. I asked her if we could take a picture of her and I with it and she was most happy and thankful.
They were very happy I stopped by and asked me to come again. I told them we could practice our Japlish when I come back. We exchanged business cards and they bid me "Hagi mai masate"-Nice to meet you.
Down through the park on a new path I went and was very surprised where I ended up. These curvy paths that criss cross and the slopes running up and down get one all turned around.
I tried to go into another historical house but it was closed for a mucical group rehearsal. The young lady there showed me the free concert schedule and explained to me the different sections of the chart. Date, time, kind of music, artist, ....boy I wonder if I really will ever be able to get the Kangi characters. The hiragana and katakana will be hard enough. But then so far what I see, it is all Kangi so maybe that is the better place to start. I have to look up classes too and find out where they are held and when they start. I definitely have ALOT to learn.
As I walked across Harbor View Park I saw men with missing body parts..which caused me to take a second look and many a butterfly flitting about. At the bottom of the next set of steps, I saw a big painting class at work drawing the Marine Tower view and skyline. Then I went into a new corner store and found a few more household and toiletry products I needed, and some more of the good yogurt we had the other day. Already, I see you can get 1 brand at one store and not at another. So I guess I will have to make a list of what I like and where I got it so I know which place to go when I need a refill. When setting a glass jar back on the shelf behind a sign I did not see a bracket that was in the way and when I started to walk away it fell and smashed to pieces. I asked if I could pay for it and they said no, and asked if I was ok. Boy did I feel dumb. I then showed the man that the surface was not flat so he could fix it to avoid another mishap. Yikes..I guess I was the "bull in the china shop" for them today. :-( Now wait a minute..that doesn't sound exactly right? :-)...anyhoo
Found some Japanese mens PJ's for CJ and I (the ladies styles were too small of course and it is just a hapi coat and shorts so I figured it would work). Looks like I am going to be wearing mens clothes here, just like I do at home.:-)I too found some wood geta sandles size 27 for me to wear around the yard or further if I can walk in them? I also found another pair of what looked like ladies sandles to me and they actually fit me, so I bought them as well. I wonder if that was a fluke or do they really have shoes here to fit me? All the books I read said if you wear larger than a ladies size 7 then be sure to bring enough to last you as you will not be able to buy them here. That was a very nice surprise.
I would love to have a summer Yakuta robe too, but I am guessing they don't have sizes BIG enough for me. I would probably have to have one tailor made to fit me...another thing for me to look into.
Stopped by my favorite bakery on the way home for a "shopping day donut" which I used to get at Cub's when back home. No Bavarian cream chocolate donut for CJ or coconut/chocolate fried cinnamon roll for me, but some other fruit and frosting filled tart and chocolate nut covered ones that looked a whole heck of alot better..hope he likes it. I know I can't wait to eat mine.
Put my purchases away and then made some salad and marinated some chicken for supper tonight. Back up in my office to add this days post to the blog and then another nice surprise when the setting sun shone right in my window and I watched another day here in Yokohama come to an end. I love sunrises and sunsets and so it will be nice to watch each night the sky fill with natural colors before the neon lights fill the night city scape.
CJ called and he is still on the road and will be home late and I just heard the oven timer go off so I am going to go eat my chicken and salad and look at the map while relaxing on the couch to figure out where my exploration tommorrow will take me
Sayonara
Karla and CJ

No comments: