Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Monday July 14, 2008 CJ's Ist day of Work

CJ woke up at 6am and was off to work by 6:30. He told me later that night that he ended up having to wait for the cleaning ladies to arrive and then they gave him a pass to get in. I guess most folks don't show till 9 am or so. He likes to get in early and get things in order before all the others are there and he gets pulled in 101 different directions.
I was going to go for my morning walk, but then decided to put the dishes away .We do not have a dishwasher here so that is something else to get use to, doing dishes again. I am glad there are only two of us and not a whole family. The kitchen counter space is small and so it would be cramped and crowded. I then hung up my clothes on hangers till I ran out of them and organized my closet some more. Moved books to the tatami room shelves and up to my office.
The phone rang and I ran downstairs to get it and slipped and bounced half way down on my butt, OUCH ! I did get there and it was CJ calling to tell me a friend at work has a desk and bike he wants to get rid of and would like to know if we want them. They are both brand new and he has to pay to dispose of them so he wants to give them as a gift to us. WOW ! So tomorrow at lunch CJ and Ted will bring them here. Cool!
After getting things in order I then decided to take my walk in the afternoon. I am used to getting outdoors now and so I actually missed it this am. I found very soon though,it was a big mistake as it is much too hot here after 11 am. I did go down the opposite side of the bluff to the working class section of town and passed by 3 different schools where some older girls were outside at gym hitting around a volleyball. Umbrellas were stacked out in front of the Senior High which the girls use to protect their porcelain like skin from the hot sun when walking home after class. I then passed the elementary Int'l school where little white wash cloth size towels were all hanging out to dry on a bar. My guess is they are the ones the Japanese use to wash their hands and face before eating a meal. All the little girls in their straw hats and Navy uniforms then began to line up out up front. When I stopped to watch and hopefully take a photo,they saw me and kind of backed up a bit and so I went on my way. Darn :-( They were just darling all in their matching uniforms and backpacks. I wondered if they were leaving school or going on a field trip? Hopefully one other day I can go by there and maybe even get into help them in some way? The school is very close to home...just across the street from the park and down 1/2 a block. So who knows. I then watched in awe how the high school girls passed by me and trotted down the very long steep staircase. I walked slowly and the sweat still ran from my forehead. Once I got to the bottom of the steps, I walked down some streets and found a great little fruit and veggie market where I bought some fresh snow peas, ginger and bulbs of garlic. I also stopped by a very quiet neighborhood shinto shrine and peeked my head in the door. I ventured down another street and stopped in a neighborhood grocery store for some Jelly and a few pieces of Chicken for lunch. In the beauty/pharmacy store I got a lychee room deoderizer for the bathroom and enjoyed a nice chat with the man there. I was going to get some Renuzit cone deodorizers that I get back in the states for 87 cents but the $3.85 cent price tag wouldn't let me do it. If I was going to have to spend close to $4 for one I was going to at least get a Japanese style one with a native like fragrance.
I then stopped in a 7-11 like store and got an adzuki bean cake for our dessert tonight. When I exited the store I looked down the street and saw all those little girls entering aniother building, so maybe they were on a field trip.
I am enjoying each day as I take another street and go for my daily walk down and around to see what there is in that direction. It is like we are the middle of a tire with spokes going in all directions. I have many places to explore that is for sure.
I got very hot and so I stopped in Yamate Park and sat down in the shade to eat my chicken pieces and have some much needed water. I was quickly not alone as 2 cats and many of those crows I hear so early in the morning joined me looking for a handout. I did share a few grissly pieces with one of the cats. Then I walked back up the many steps past some tennis courts and up another long hill where they were building a new home. By the time I got back to the schools again I was dripping wet and red faced I am sure. Stopped by one of the pretty historic western mansions with a pretty garden walk out front, before heading back through Motomachi Park and home. Back in the cool house, I took it easy and started to update these long forgotten blog posts, of which I am now almost caught up. Yahoo! I hung out the rest of the day and took it easy as my stair tumble and then the walk in the extreme heat did me in. CJ came home and we had stir fry chicken, veggies and pot stickers for supper. I took my nightly hot shower and went to bed.
Tommorrow I wait for the delivery men from IKEA to bring our furniture. Yeah!
Karla and CJ.

No comments: