Monday, July 14, 2008

July 8-9th, 2008 KJ CJ Arrival in Japan

It was a looooong and bit of a boring flight to Japan as we were in an old plane and did not have individual TV with movies and games to occupy us, we couldn't sleep, and after 14 hours the leg space seemed to get smaller and smaller as well. Once on Asian soil though, all went well and we made it through customs easily,exchanged some $US to Japanese Yen and were off on the Nartita Express Train to Yokohama station and our hotel for the night. We passed by bamboo forests, rice paddies, blue tiled roofs, very green and thick vegetation resembling the rainforests in Honduras, mall with Sports Authority Store and 7-11 on the street corners. Where were all the people I was told there would be?
Once arriving in Yokohama Station we begin to see some of them. Coming to and fro and moving about very fast through the underground train station. We dropped our bags at the hotel and then went in search of some traditional Japanese food. I told CJ I had to ease myself into the food and so we ended up having noodle soup for "yushoku" (dinner). I vowed to try and eat all my meals while here in Japan with chopsticks and did not do too bad for my 1st go at it. Thankfully you can slurp and hold the bowl up to your mouth when eating, so I didn't do too bad. I did gag a few times on some seaweed flavors that were a bit strong to my tastebuds, but overall it was filling and fun. The waitresses were very patient with us as we tried to point and count in Japanese and tell them which fake food models in the window that we wanted No# 1 "ichi' and No# 3 "san"... of course my spanglish came out right away and as usual when I don't know the right words my voice gets louder as I tried in vain to use any word I could find in the phrase book. Needless to say they were a bit confused but smiled and laughed.
While we were eating a little lady walked by in her lavender summer robe "yakuta", with white toed socks and sandles. (missed the photo) but was happy to see someone in traditional garb. :-)
We then wandered through a grocery store near closing time and watched and listened as hawkers were marking down and yelling prices of fresh packaged foods they were trying to get rid of. I will have to learn alot about food names and we are sure to have many a mystery meal, especially when I don't even know what the directions say nor do I know the ingredients. We will go by pics of what looks familiar or what looks tasty..it will be interesting that is for sure.
Knowing the sweet tooth that I have, I always have to have some dessert and we came upon a Mochi Cream dessert stand. I am not sure what they are exactly (a future ? for a new friend), but they were darn good. Some frozen little round ball with fillings inside. CJ had chocolate banana and I had honey cranberry. Delicious!
Back to the hotel and I learned my first Japanese word "futo" (envelope) when CJ was getting courier service to deliver our customs forms to release the air shipment of boxes we sent over. With that completed.we were off to a much needed sleep after a very looong day of travel and introduction to Japan.
"Oyasuminasai"(Good Night)

No comments: