Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Oct 6-7, 2008 Please send Prayers to Karla's dad

Konbanwa
How is everyone this evening? Good I hope. I spent most of yesterday in the house again, as it was pouring rain almost all day. I did get out to my japanese class where I learned about numbers, money, and counting and had a refresher on greetings with Rosalie. She is a pretty,young 16 yr old girl from Phillipians(sp) that moved here with her sister for her work. She is very quiet and almost timid.
After class I stopped and bought a longer handled broom so I can sweep all the leaves that are starting to fall and blow outside onto the driveway, front porch and back patio. I felt a bit like a Halloween witch walking back home carrying it (no I did not ride it) and tried to smile when the school kids passed me so as not to scare them. haha
I then made my way to the Homes Department store once the rain had ceased, to stock up on a few household items and a couple groceries. I enjoyed a very fragrant smelling baked sweet potatoe that they had cooking on some kind of stove. It was tasty, but I think I like mine better at home, when I cut them up and steam them. Not as dried out. The evening was spent on the computer and working on Japanese.
Heard from CJ that he had a nice visit with Graham up in Duluth and got to meet all Graham's rugby friends, see where he works and enjoyed a few different mexican meals with Kendra,Tyler,Z and Mr Wood. He is now back in Mpls and had some different workman coming to the house and also some doct appts to go to. Kalen and Mike were in Spring Green WI this past weekend to see some friends in a drama production, and Kalen starts her last semester of massage school on Oct 7th in Chicago, so my guess is they are very busy.
Today Oct 7,2008 in the AM here in Japan...and Oct 6th in the eve in MN (I know it is very confusing) I woke to a phone call from CJ with news that my bother Mark just took my 80 yr old dad(Sept 30th) Bernard Slick into the hospital for some tests. He had fallen 3 times this weekend and so they went to see what was going on. They thought he might have had a stroke, but once they did a CAT scan they realized he has an inflammed mass about the size of a deck of cards on the right side of his brain which is pressurized and affecting his motor skills on the left side of his body. He recently had a pacemaker put in and so they can not do an MRI as I guess the device is magnetized and it would tear it up. He will have a FULL CAT Scan tomorrow and then we should know more. He too had prostrate cancer a few years back and so they want to see if this is a primary origin cancer or if it has matastizied from some other area?
I talked with my dad, mom and brother around Monday Night Football time and they all seemed to be doing well as can be expected and a bit relieved to actually know something was wrong and now they can at least look into it and see what is going on. My dad too, had been having lots of night terrors and flailing his arms in his sleep for about a year or so and was scheduled for a sleep disorder visit on Oct 8th to see what that was all about. I guess all the other medications and therapies they tried did not seem to help him. They were speculating that this tumor may have had something to do with that as well? So we shall see.
I will wait to find out more and then decide when I will go back to MN. I asked if there was anything I could do for him, from far away in Japan and they said they liked the idea of prayer chains and so I told them I would be sure and ask all my friends to please include him in their prayers.
So thank you from all of us Slicks for your caring and support.
Karla

No comments: