Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oct 13-15, 2008 Gma Jean is here in Japan

Ohayogozaimus..Good Morning
It is a bright, sunny, and very clear day here in Japan and Gma Jean and I will soon be out on another day of exploration.
Sorry I have not written on here much lately. I as you may or may not know have been busy trying to keep up with the happenings back in MN with my dad Bernard Slick.
See his Caring Bridge site http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/bernardmslick
The news we got yesterday was a bit of a let down for all, as we were told my dad has Large B Cell Primary Lymphoma. This is in his blood stream and can cause tumors to reoccur in the brain, so you can imagine our lives have been turned a bit upside down.
Bernie will be undergoing chemo and radiation in the next few weeks and on. They were going to send him home yesterday from the hospital, but after meeting with the oncologist and getting this info, now they are keeping him there a few more days and hope to get him in to some type of rehab center for a week or so, before going home.

So with that news disturbing news, Jean and I went back yesterday to the forest in Negishi Park and I enjoyed a dance under the tree where I felt to close to my family the other day after I got news of the brain tumor. It helped to be there again and to see the now small area of bright yellow leaves changing in the canopy overhead. Before visiting the "family tree" Jean and I sat by the pond and watched the bright colored, orange and yellow coi fish swimming amongst the yellow Lilly pad blossoms. We also had quite a show by the numerous ducks who were going through their morning ritual bathing procedures while having a snack of various Japanese type eats and some veggies too. (potatoe patties, bean filled rice balls, lemon tea, juicy asian pears, rice crackers, carrots, cukes, nut and cranberry mix ...)
After a quite walk through the park and watching other picnicking, looking at flowers and leaves Jean and I then walked back through Yamatch-cho and down the long slope to Ishikawacho and then thru the Motomachi shopping district. We stopped and got a pastry for our lunch dessert and took a few photos with a cute and funky girl at a clothing shop. We went over the bridge across the canal and into Chinatown. There we stopped and looked at one of the shrines and then we took a Rick saw ride with Hoshi as our diver or runner ? He was so friendly, fun and had a great BIG smile
He stopped and took pics of us at each the the special locations with out even being asked..now that is a good tour guide. :-)
Jean and I then looked around the gardens at Yamashita Park near the waters edge at Yokohama Harbor. There were lots of people out enjoying a beautiful fall day here in Japan. We then stopped at Don's for a resupply of juices and then made our way back home up the slope and the dreaded StairMaster in our backyard. Had a nice meal with CJ here at home and enjoyed just hanging out in the house and visiting with one another. It was a very nice day and one which had many elements of which my dad would have enjoyed if he was here with us. I feel as if he was in spirit.

Today Thursday 10/16 Jean and I are headed to Harbor View Park, a few of the old western mansions and maybe a craft shop or two along my mom and pop street. Tomorrow we are planning to go south to check out Kamakura, the beach and the numerous shrines and temples there.
I will now bid you farewell so we can be off and into the streets. Hope to fill you in on more adventures soon
Love ya
Karla ,Jean and CJ too

No comments: