Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oct 8-9, 2008 A walk in the woods with thoughts of my dad

Konbanwa
Seems like I finally get time to update this blog in the evenings lately.
Hope this finds you all well and perhaps you too enjoyed a day in the park like I?
Yesterday I stayed in the house all day again as it rained, rained and rained some more. I kept very busy with updating and cleaning up more Honduras files,lists, the website photos, logging in deposits, writing letters to friends and family about my dad....
Speaking of him,Bernie is doing well and just waiting for surgery on Friday.
The Full Cat Scan proved to show the tumor is of primary origin, which is good, and he is on a steroid now to help reduce the swelling and inflamation. Then they will do another Cat Scan Friday morning to make sure that it is down and that will be the road map for the extraction that will take place around 1pm on the 10th.
CJ spent some time with him last night and now he is headed for Chicago to see Kalen and Mike for a day and 1/2 before returning to WI and then MN on Saturday and back home on Sunday to Japan with his mom Jean. I have decided to stay here and possibly go back to MN when my dad gets back home from the hospital. I will see what they find on Friday once they remove the tumor and do a biopsy.
We want to Thank all of you who have been sending Emails of prayers and get well wishes. My mom,dad and brother appreciate them alot and it helps to know many are thinking of us as we go through this trying time. Thanks

October 9, 2008

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. YAHOO...I actually woke to SUNSHINE here in Japan and it has not yet rained one drop today and it is almost 10pm. YEAH!!
So this is the next crazy twist to life here in Japan.
I got a phone call this morning from my Chinese friend Maggie. Remember her, the lady and family CJ and I met at Costco that one day. Well she called to ask me if I would like to teach English classes to the engineers at her work. Really ? Hum ?
She said they would pay me per hour and also for my transportation. They would like me to teach 2 classes a week from 4-6 pm. WOW? I was flattered,and would LOVE too, but I feel like I really can't commit with my dad's health issues right now. Darn!
I too, don't even know if it is legal for me, since I don't have a work visa. CJ will have to check on that at work I guess. It sounds very interesting and FUN, yet I wonder if I really have the credentials to do it,or the teaching experience?
I would give it a shot if it is even possible though, so we shall see?
So with my head spinning from that and some frustration too as the timing seems to be off...I decided I need to get out and go snap a few pics..heck it has been 3 days since I ahve been out and baout. So I left the house at 10am and went to the right at the end of the street and just kept walking to see where it took me. I was so surprised when I ended up by the Negishi US Navy Base. Remember that night back in August when we went the wrong way and we walked forever and ever almost all the way around the whole base to find the Obon festival. Well I found the other 1/2 of that walk the one we should have took:-)
It was an absolutely gorgeous early fall day here and the Negishi Forest Park I ended up at was full of school children on field trips or perhaps doing some sport day activities as well. On Monday October 13th it is actually a national holiday Health and Sports Day here in Japan. So there will be many different schools and organizations having health fairs and activities this weekend as well. Maggie may call me,to join them at Yumi's school sports celebration on Sunday?
So down the long set of steps in the park there was a pond with colorful coi fish, turtles sunbathing on an island, lilly pads with yellow blossoms and many a mom and her little one out for a walk and enjoying the weather.
I saw some cute little preschool aged boys with some fall head dresses which were decorated with colored leaves and acorns. I am not so sure where they got the leaves though, as so few are just starting to turn colors? I asked permission to take their photo and then when they were doing a group shot I offered to take it so all the adults could be in it too. Then they had me get in with the kids and took one of me. Of course when this big white lady came and sat down,I scared one of the little ones and he ran crying to his momma. You can see him being comforted by her a few rows behind me. When they took the picture I was trying to tell the kids I really was nice and wouldn't hurt them. :-( When I was going to leave they gave me a little bag with some crackers and a sucker. How sweet! I talked a little bit to the one lady that spoke english and told her about my work and travels to Honduras. I gave her one of my HTS/TSSI business cards and told her to Email me for my blog site, as I asked if I could put their picture here for all of you to see and they said "YES" with very big smiles.:-)
I had all I could do to not hang around and talk some more and take pics of the other cute kids, but I sadly bid them farewell and made my way off into the woods. It was really nice for me to be there amongst the trees and it made me think alot about my dad and mom and how we spent so much time in the woods and camping when I was samll. My dad worked for the US Forest Service for more than 30 years where he designed campgrounds, bath houses, firepits, toilets...It was good, it made me feel close to them even though I am 1000s of miles away. I watched butterflies flitting about,observed a few more spider webs, saw a boys gym class doing warm up exercises before their run around the circle path and sat on a bench and soaked up some sunshine for a few minutes before making my way further down the road. I walked through the Equestrian Horse Museum gardens areas and said hello to a few ponies and an old gray mare. It was nice to see BIG animals again other than all the little dressed up dogs riding in fancy strollers or shopping carts.
I walked past many a fruit and veggie stand, some new mom and pop old japanese shopping areas and took many a flower picture along the way as well. There are so many flowers around with all the container gardens these folks have. Amazing.
I then strolled back home passing kids coming home from school in all their different style uniforms. Made a late lunch, downloaded my pics and have been on the computer again tonight. I will give my dad a call here quick before I go to bed and then again tomorrow when I wake up before he goes to bed. I really do have to use my calendar here alot so to keep track of the days.
More soon
Karla

No comments: