Saturday, August 2, 2008

August 3 2008 Yokohama Bay Stars Baseball Game

"Shiawase Nichiyobi"...Happy Sunday
CJ and I slept in today and then he went to the Yotobashi Electronics Store to do some research on Flat Screen TV's and I think to pick us up a Jumbo-sho as we missed them when coming back from the states the other night. Too many heavy bags to haul around the train station.
I went down to Motomachi's "Rodeo Drive" to catch the Shinto Procession which was to begin at 12 noon. I got down there early and just in time to see all of them lining up for the Shinto group photo. Sugishimu-san was of course all dressed in his special festival Yukata robe. He looked so cute in his straw hat and tori socks with his getta wood sandals. I am so intrigued by all of these different costumes and why they are each wearing different garments. What does it all mean? Oh boy if I ever learn Japanese watch out cause I am gonna have 1001 or more questions about everything. I was just thinking perhaps it might be well worth my money to pay Yuku-san or Suzuki-san for a question and answer day. I wonder how much that would cost, or if they would even do such a thing ?
CJ caught up with me down there on Rodeo Drive, just as they were starting to move down the street. He had a big smile on his face and I am not sure if it was more for the Jumbo-sho he bought or for the TV he ordered. We walked down the street along side the group and enjoyed the music, energy and plastic fan's they presented to us so we could at least try to keep ourselves a bit cool. I know I was VERY glad it was me watching in the 90 degree temps and not hauling that heavy load. The children carrid the little alter and the adults the big one.
When we stopped to watch the lady drummers, I noticed the 3 Shinto priests were coming out of a pastry/coffee shop behind us where I assumed they had ducked in to get a respite from the hot temps and a cool drink. They were agreeable to a photo and then a lady in the crowd offered to take one of CJ and I with them. Cj and I then walked down to the Shinto grounds to see if they had more things going on down there, but it was totally empty. So I assumed it was the same as Honduras Easter processions and they were going to walk through the streets till 5pm. We stopped and stood in the shade of a tree near the shrine and ate the jumbo-sho as it is not acceptable to walk along the street and eat. When we were done savoring our favorite treats, we made our way back home to cool down,and relax before going to the game.
While working in the house we could hear the drums all afternoon and I also caught a glimpse of them out our office window as they rounded the corner down at the bottom of the hill. YIKES... I can't even imagine doing that for 5 hours in temps close to 100degrees.
On our way to the game we again walked through Chinatown and when we passed the Koban office there actually was a cop outside giving directions to another lady. I told CJ to stop and ask him how to get to the stadium, just so I could get a photo and document that they really do exist. When we got to the game there were quite a few people and they all had bags of food they were carrying in to the stadium. That was so weird to see, as we can't really bring anything in to our stadiums back in the states. Here they had food and drinks, as well as, many shopping bags. I suppose many people take the train and probably spend the afternoon shopping and then come to the game before getting back on the train to go home. Interesting?
We got into our seats and watched pregame warmups as the sun was setting behind left center field wall and the seats were filling up very fast with many enthusiastic and energetic fans. One of the players was being acknowledged for something important and he received a bunch of awards from several different people. Everyone was sporting either Bay Stars blue and white jerseys or Tigers yellow and black ones. They all seemed to have a sweat towel wrapped around their neck or forehead and also carried a set of plastic bats which they hit together for the next 4 hours straight. It was very interesting to see how each team took turns to do their cheers when their home team was up to bat. In between innings they had a camera scanning the crowd,taking candid shots which showed up on the big screen scoreboard. They all got a kick out of it when their picture showed up. The Bay Stars mascots and cheerleaders shot T shirts into the stands from a launching gun and the Bay Stars pitcher would toss a ball to the boys gathered at the fence as he walked into the dugout each inning. The crowd really got into the Y.M.C.A song and some of them let it all hang out.
It was very entertaining to watch the 20 something boys and girls all dressed in their neon yellow, green and orange uniforms waving their open hand to get your attention and to try selling you an ice cold beer,lemonade,soda,popcorn or coffee. One guy was carrying a portable bar, and was making mixed drinks with vodka and tonic, scotch and ?. I still can't believe how little some of the girls were and how strong they must be to climb up and down the steps so quickly, in 90 degree weather and with that big awkward box of canned beers hanging out in front of them. It made my back and shoulders hurt just to watch them. You could see some of them tiring out and slowing down by the 8th inning and they all had sweat towels on their shoulders that they padded their faces with to soak up the perspiration that was running down their temples.
I can't even imagine what I would have looked like trying to do that for 3-4 hours. I was dripping wet, just sitting in the stands. I told CJ they all must of ate their eel today so to have so much stamina. The people here actually kind of run or jog a bit when they are selling you things. I noticed it in the furniture and electronics stores as well.
Of course we had to try out some of the Japanese baseball food and boy was it ever some of the healthiest fare we have seen. CJ had a y500 beer of course and then went out into the concessions area to buy some more lo main and meat type noodle dish and some soybeans y600for the 2. He got me some shaved ice with mandarin oranges on top for y300, that was very good and refreshing. Later we had some popcorn y200 and ate some fruit and nut mix I had brought from home. The Bay Stars were losing 2-16 when we ended up leaving in the middle of the 8th inning. CJ started falling asleep (jet lag) so I thought it best we head home. It was most interesting to watch the crowd continue all night long singing, cheering and beating their 2 bats together. It was a little odd for me to see everyone around me eating sushi rolls and slurping noodle of all varieties from their bento boxes, instead of hotdogs, peanuts and nachos.
It was cool to see too,how they picked up and took out all their garbage and put it in the 6 different recycle containers in the hallways. Needless to say it looked a bit different than the litter strewn stadiums we see after a game ends, especially when the home team gets their butt's kicked 19-2.
On our way home we walked through Chinatown and past the restaurant where I got that old brown jug the other night a couple of weeks ago. Well now I decided I wanted one of the big white ones with the straw handles. So I again asked if they were "waste" and the guy said "Hei" so I took it and CJ unwilling helped me carry it home. He was glad it was dark I am sure and not many people were around. He did comment to me, on how we can't keep picking stuff up or we will have a whole other house to send back home and I of course replied "Oh ok, your worried about my 2 little jugs and you just bought a big 42 inch flat screen TV". Whatever?
Back home, nightly shower and to bed we went, tired from another hot, fun filled day here in Japan.
I wonder if the Bay Stars had a come back or not. CJ will have to ask someone at work or look in the newspaper tommorrow to find out
and the beat goes on ........
Karla and CJ

No comments: