Friday, August 1, 2008

August 1, 2008 We made it safely back to Japan in Comfort

Hi all
It is about 8:30am here on Saturday morning August 2nd. We made it back last night to Japan with no problems and we were VERY surprised and HAPPY when they for some reason secretly upgraded us to business class on our flight back to Asia. YAHOO!!
Now I got to see how CJ really flies about and try to relate to his part of the world for 1/2 a day at least. :-)
First,I had to figure out how to use all the remote controls for my chair, lumbar supports, the individual TV monitor I had, and what to do with the pillow, blanket, gift travel bag, slippers,headphones they handed me upon sitting down. I was sure they were going to have to give me another bag to carry all my gifts out when it was all said and done. Hey, I thought there was a BAG limit on these flights ?
Anyhoo..
We had steaming hot wash clothes to refresh ourselves and wash up with before they served us our nuts, appetizer, 2 full meals and midnight snack. I even passed on the pizza snack as my dinner was way more food than we needed or I could even eat. Imagine that...me passing up food. haha
The white linens, ceramic plates, glass glasses, metal silverware, free alcohol if you desired that, packets of freshly ground white/black pepper and natural sea/rock salt were oh so different than back in the "cattle car"..oops I mean coach class seats.
Heck,I could even stretch my legs full out and still not hit the chair in front of me. Cool! When the man next to me fell asleep and I had to get out to go to the bathroom I could actually step over him without waking him... My one bag was 10lb over and I was a bit bummed I had to pay an extra $50, but when we got upgraded it all seemed to quickly be forgotten. Needless to say, it made for a much more enjoyable and restful flight. Thanks to whomever made that blessing in disguise happen.
I actually felt like I died and went to heaven with all the pampering, leg room, space,...and the beautiful billowy cloud view I saw when looking out the plane window.
CJ and I did get seperated, but no worries, as we each had our own capsule like seat that actually reclined into a bed, if you wanted it to. I did not use it as that though, as I was so engrossed in this wonderful book I bought back in MN when looking for a good Japanese dictionary.
If any of you are interested in the Geisha culture. I would highly reccommend reading GEISHA, A LIFE by Mineko Iwasaki. I thought it was even better than Memoirs of a Geisha. I am half way through it, and am really learning alot about the ins and outs of that lifestyle, she is so informative..I couldn't put it down, it's so intriguing.
As we left Minneapolis, we flew over CJ's Graco INC office on the Mississippi river near Boom Island and bowed and thanked them again, for this wonderful opportunity we have.
When we landed in Japan it actually felt a bit cooler than when we left the week before and it was once again, fun to see all the people walking through the subway stations in their colorful yukata robes.
It was a bit of a hike home from the train station and up the slopes and then those wonderful loooong steps at the end of the street. I am sure I don't even need to tell you the good sweat worked up, with the 3 very full and heavy bags we each had. UGH! With that,we showered and then made an early night of it after our long travel day. It is good to be back "home".
Today we are unpacking, doing some paperwork, CJ is setting up my computer printer and putting together the shelf that came last week when he was in Nagoya and then we are going to make our way out on the town.
We may try to get our alien registration cards, pick up a few needed groceries, check out the local festival in Yamate-cho that is supposed to be today and tomorrow and who knows possibly even try and see a Yokohama GIANTS baseball game here this weekend as well.
Thanks once again to all of you for your letters and calls of sympathy and support this past week, as well as, for your interest in our adventure here in Japan. We are looking forward to sharing more of the things we see and do with all of you in the days to come
Until later
Karla and CJ

No comments: