Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday Eve August 7th, 2008 Bon Dori Dancing and Karla in Wonderland

Hi all
Well we did make it down to Chinatown after dinner and enjoyed sitting and watching the locals from the neighborhood doing their bon dori dances. Many children and a few of the adults were dressed once again in their colorful yukatas and all seemed to enjoy their flavored shaved ice when taking a dance break. I get so darn excited when I see all the pretty yukatas. :-) We were given another plastic fan and have accumulated quite a collection already in the month we have been here. Seems they pass them out at all the festivals as a form of advertisement. I was glad to get one, as it was very hot.
A nice, slightly agressive (in a good way) gentleman asked if he could take our photo for us and then proceeded to tell us to squat down so he could see the stage behind us. Funny !
We watched men women and kids dance for about 1/2 hour and then walked around Chinatown a bit and took in all the neon lights and activity before heading back up the slope and stairmaster home. The restaurants were full of people dining, groups of men all in their black work suit coats were standing under one of the entrance gates talking after exiting from a possible work dinner meeting. Many shops were starting to close up and the last of the steamed dumplings were being bought up by the late night stragglers. We passed one window that had a tree like shape made of lobster and at the base were what looked like verggies carved into flowers, pagodas and a white crane. One male palm reader was resting his head on the table and looked as if he had, had a very loooooong, tiring day of work.
The last couple of days I have felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland or Goldilocks as everything I've tried on,used, seen was either TOO BIG or too small.. yukata,dress,shoes, sink, vans...
I am missing my kids and Grambo's internet has been down the last week, so I'm listening to Graham's guitar/harmonica/singing CD while typing you this note. We did get to talk with him a few minutes this morning before he was off to work.
He is doing well, busy and enjoying the beach and refreshing swims in Lake Superior with Tyler. We have been in touch with Kalen more often on skype and chat. She is busy with work and school as well and thankfully weathered the BIG historical storm that blew through Chicago land the other day.
I asked CJ last night if he would write in the blog and give you all his perspective of things here in Japan and he said yes possibly this weekend. So perhaps you might see his post of sarcasm here soon.
I am off to ride my bike today 8/8 over in the warehouse district I think. I have put quite a few miles on my feet the last few days and so I will give them a much needed break today. Looking forward to Taco Friday tonight and the Olympics Opening Ceremony on TV.
I'm off to see the ...Enjoy your day or night ? and talk to you all again soon.

No comments: