Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday August 8, 2008 Minato Mirari 4 hour Bike Ride

Hi All
I am getting a late start on this blog today, as I was just looking at all the wonderful photos my friend Bjorg from Norway took on her recent trip to Russia.If you have facebook friend her and you can see them as well as her many other travel photos she has taken in Iran,India, China,Norway... She gets around more than I do and loves to take pics as well. WOW, they sure do have some very interesting ,ornate colorful and different architecture over there. She captured some really nice shots, so take a peek. Here is one of my favorites of Bjorg's-The Puddle Reflection
I am pooped today. I think I get more tired from riding my bike than I do from walking. Why is that? Once again CJ and I were up early at 5am and he had a conference call with MN Graco. We ate breakfast and then he was off to work while I did some laundry and a few other chores before heading out on my bike at 9am.
I went down to the harbor pier area and road along the waters edge through Yamashita Park and then over the Shinkobashi Bridge into the Red Brick Warehouse area. Was fun to see the view of the Bay Bridge from the other side of the Port of Yokohama. I rode through the Aka Renga Park area,past the old loading dock, then some very big ship docked on the Shinko Pier.It was a Navy ship I believe. I then kept heading west through Shinko Park where many men were sitting under trees in the shade and reading their morning newspapers. I circled south a bit and went through a tunnel and was surprised when I got to the other side and saw a row of colorful building facades and an amusement park. I had no idea any of that was over there. I thought there was just the BIG Ferris Wheel that looks like the Eye of London. I wonder if they call it the Eye of Tokyo? I stopped and took some different architecture angle photos as this area is futuristic, so they say?It was early morning and so all the workers were doing safelty checks on the rides. When taking a photo of intersecting lines I noticed a guy way up on the cat walk. I then made my way across the Kishi-michi Promenade which was lined on one side with colorful purple morning glories and many people in black and white walking to work on the other. At the end of the promenade was the Maritime Pier where there was another large ship. This one is the Nippon Maru a Sail Training ship. All sails were down and two guys were hanging on the side of the ship busy getting ready to clean the portholes or possibly paint? I was stopped by man and told not to ride my bike down there. Oops. :-( I apologized "sumimasen" and said I do not read Japanese. I felt really bad, as I did not see any signs or pictures anywhere saying NO bikes.
Then I went down one street and up the other side just seeing what was over in that area. I saw the Big Hard Rock Cafe Guitar and a cool sculpture of metal near by. I did not go up to it as I did not want to lock my bike up nor carry it up the steps with me, so I will do that another day. I am sure I could get some cool pics standing underneath it looking up. Then at the bottom of the Landmark Tower there was this cool big pit that was an old ship docking station and it looks like they have made it into a place for outdoor concerts. At least I think that is what the sign said. Maybe we will stop by there this weekend to see if that is in fact true, as the banner said something about a concert 8 9 08.
I went up to the end of that street which was lined with lots of neatly trimmed shrubs, hedges, trees and cool shade which felt very good. It was now about 11am and it was getting hotter by the minute.
On the next street I saw a cool sculpture of a man and women and some colorful 3 wheel bike tuk tuks that were busy transporting older tourists around the city.
I then came upon a soccer stadium or practice field which looked to be the home of the Yokohma F. Marinos. I think this is their Jr League Division 1 team, and by the posters hanging around it looks like all their upcoming games are "K/O"...I took that to mean sold out? They must be pretty good? Perhaps CJ and I will try to check one of those games out another day as well. It was a very busy place with boys and men of all ages playing games in the 6 or 7 different fields. I circled all around the complex and then headed back through Rinko Park where I saw a few men fishing,a young guy laying in the sun and 4 others sitting on the steps visiting, 2 guys playing baseball,a man and 2 kids having a picnic, a buisness man eating away at his bento box lunch with his chopsticks... CJ has been having those as well as Sushi most days at work and is LOVING that too!
While there I dropped my camera on the brick pavement when trying to take a picture straddling my bike. It started to tip over and I tried catching it and there went my camera. Darn ! :-( Luckily it did not land on my zoom lens which was extended out. Thankfully, it seems to be working fine and so I guess next time I will put the kick stand down and get off to take my fotos.
When I got back around to the Red Brick Warehouse area they were having an Ice Cream Festival. I stopped to read all the signs and stood under the mist machine for a bit of refreshing air and moisture and then continued back across the bridge. One end of Yamashita Park was now full of about 10 different groups of school kids sitting under trees having their picnic lunch in the shade. I kept going as I was starting to feel a bit weak and hungry.
I stopped quick at Don's store to get some more yogurt,fruit juices, beer and CJ another couple pair of Yukata PJ's which he really likes wearing. I then had my first experience of riding my bike with fully loaded heavy baskets. Might I say I was a bit wobbly at first and it made me think of my Honduran pals and how they ride and balance big water jugs, their wives or girlfriends on the bar and I could barely keep going straight with a few little bags in my baskets. I will need much more practice to carry any more than the little bit I did today. I am happy to say I made it home without any crashes. It was a B- - - H though, pushing the bike up the long set of steps and I am sure I looked like a tomatoe ready to explode when I rounded the corner and walked smack dab into the middle of the construction workers sitting there taking their afternoon break. My head was a pounding and the sweat was running like a waterfall off my chin. I can NOT understand how these people work all day in this heat doing physical labor. It literally wears me out.I wonder if they too can barely stay awake past 9pm each night?
I could hardly keep my eyes open while I ate my lunch, so when done eating I actually laid down on the couch and watched what I think was some high school baseball game on TV for a 1/2 hour or so. Nice clear, crisp picture on the new TV, by the way. I am excited for the Olympic Ceremony tonight. CJ called and asked if the english TV stations were showing up yet as he called the TV satellite company to connect them, but they were not there an hour or 2 ago ? Hopefully, it will be ready in a few more hours.
Well,that about wraps up today's adventure, I had best get the pics attached to this post and then make my way downstairs and get the Taco stuff ready for supper. Oh how I could go for an ice cold margarita right now. My cold Honey Lemon drink will have to suffice.
We are not exactly sure yet,what we are going to be up to this weekend. We had tentatively thought about going to climb Mt. Fuji-san, but I told CJ I don't think I would make it in this heat, and he agreed. So, we may go check out Costco as CJ is craving oatmeal and he hopes they sell it there,like they do back in MN. We have been having museli, but I have only seen instant oatmeal in the stores. It will be interesting to see if they carry all Japanese stuff or the same stuff we have in the states?
We also may take a day trip southwest down to Kamakura and the beaches to see what craziness goes on there in the heat of a Japanese summer.
I guess I will close for now, and hope you enjoyed the tour today. It was mostly buildings, sculptures and lots of cement... not much for interactions with people.
Until tomorrow or possibly next week depending on our schedule
Karla and CJ

No comments: